Jupiter Imaging Round 3

Today we got clear skies again, so it was off to the races with the time lapse. While my brother’s time lapse did its magic, we set out to improve upon our first capture of Jupiter. I improved my process by actually going through a short Photoshop tutorial, capturing more images to stack, spending a bit more time on focus, and using Pipp at multiple stages. Here was my process tonight:

  1. set up telescope
  2. hook up camera
  3. put in LRGB filters one at a time, focusing and then capturing 100-500 frames
  4. for each filter:
    1. center and align with PIPP
    2. stack with AutoStakkert
  5. align each stacked image and resize with PIPP
  6. use Photoshop to rotate
  7. align and resize images using Photoshop (probably lost some pixels here in rotation… at least it visually appeared that way)
  8. PIPP again!
  9. open L image in Photoshop and adjust levels & curve
  10. open R,G,B in Photoshop and adjust levels
  11. create a new blank RGB image, inserting each R,G,B in the appropriate channel
  12. adjust hue/saturation
  13. add L as a second layer on top
  14. final adjustments
  15. export as 50% scaled image to try to make better

All-in-all, I am writing this blog post at 1:30am and I left my house at 9:00pm to start, so while I haven’t exclusively been doing this (played video games for a 30 minute break), this has been a rather lengthy and manual process.

Below is the final result!

Jupiter

Jupiter

Comparison

Of course I must compare to my first two attempts!

comparison

Photoshop Experiment

Since different images show up with different exposures (I found Jupiter’s moons when cranking some of the light and level settings), I decided to paste together the Jupiter image above with some of its moons.

Jupiter